Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Gift of Peace...

How many times have I suggested the importance of taking "me time" and meditative moments? Well here’s a confession… I haven’t taken my own advice.

I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a niece, a student, a writer, an executive and a friend to all except myself. I’ve made time to take care of everyone but me. Meditate? Remember my spirit? Nope. I’ve let housework, Mommy-work and work-work get in the way of making myself happy. I’ve neglected to do the things that keep me growing and keep me sane. But I suppose even recognizing that truth means I’m still growing and learning.

Even so... there’s a reason why the flight attendant always says “in the event of an emergency take care of yourself first and then tend to your child”. If we don’t take care of ourselves, we won’t have the strength to tend to anything or anyone else. Ain’t that the truth. You’ll find yourself stretched to the limit, jumpy, irritable and generally miserable. That was me. Is that you, too? I hope not. But if that is your situation, then I hope you can do something about it before its too late. Or maybe someone you love will do something to help you find your way back.

Fortunately, I have someone in my life who loves me like that. For my Mother’s Day gift, he sent me off to check into a hotel room... just for me... to relax – by myself. Nice, huh?

It can’t take the place of those pancakes lovingly served to me in bed by my three beautiful children, or the flowers, perfume or jewelry delivered with a kiss from my sweet loving husband. No, but this gift restores my spirit in a way I didn’t know I needed. So as I sit here, in a great hotel room with room service, a glass of wine and sole control over the remote, I am happily writing this blog. I am grateful for my husband, grateful for my kids, and grateful for the gift of peace -- peace of mind. Happy Mother’s Day.

9 comments:

  1. Love it! Great post Michelle as always. And I can absolutely relate! Enjoy your "me" time that is so deserved. And Happy Mothers' Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy your time alone, it's the best (i have a lot of it:-)) and Happy Mother's Day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well-said, Michelle. Enjoy your mini "me" vacation. I'm sure it will make you appreciate your wonderful family all-the-more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. outstanding. simply outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a follower now!!! Great read, and great advice..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a follower now too!!Great as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really have a way with words. Thanks so much for sharing them and making our days better. I appreciate it. ArubaTigerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very important message. You have done it again

    ReplyDelete

 
counter for blogger
Site Meter