Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sometimes the lessons we teach are meant for us to learn

My three kids are wonderful. No, really… they are and I love them but sometimes they’re just dense. They’re pretty good in school, don’t get into trouble, nice kids – but they don’t listen. I find that I repeat myself about certain things – over and over and over again and they just ignore me. Some of these are small lessons, true, but some are pretty important to learn now so that they’ll know what to do when they’re all grown up and on their own. This morning I heard myself for the hundredth time. I said, “Why aren’t you getting this? Don’t you know that this little thing can save you from drama and frustration? Once you get this, we can move on!!”

That was it. That’s when I realized that the lesson was mine to learn. In my life there are patterns and repeat mistakes where I fall into the same trap, or face the same issue over and over, like déjà vu all over again. This morning I realized that those moments are the lessons I was meant to learn, and that this morning God was hitting his head against the wall with frustration because I wasn’t getting it. I got it now, like a big “duh”!

I say to my kids all the time, that when I say it the first time, it’s in my normal voice. Over time as I repeat myself, I get louder and louder, because I assume that if you didn’t respond, or do what I asked that you didn’t hear me… So I’m going to find other ways to get through to you. God follows the same logic. He starts with a whisper to your soul, and he gets louder and louder, using other ways to get through to you until one day he practically hits you in the head: Hellooo!! You’re just not getting it and we can’t move on until you do!


Oprah has said it, I’ve felt it in my spirit, and no doubt you have, too. Life teaches you lessons every day. Just get it and move on.

6 comments:

  1. Well,what I discovered,as I observe the parents of today, while the parent is occupied or just watching TV and their child calls them or tugs at their clothing, that parent waits till about the third time to respond to the child. Sometimes I have to say "MOM" they are calling you, because it gets annoying when the parent doesnt answer the child! At the supermarket, mall, home and yes even at church.
    So that's what they are learning from the toddler stage and so on. What did you expect?They do as you do and not as you say. At times they only respond to a
    yell or scream because that's what you do. "WHAAAAT!"
    It's me Vikki

    So, how many calls does it take you, my friend, before you respond?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of what Oprah says...it starts as a whisper, then gets louder, then finally a bonk on the head until you get the message. Self-awareness is hard for all of us...we are works in progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My three daughters are all grown up with families of their own, and I hear them telling their kids what I thought they didn't pay any attention to when I was saying it, over and over and over.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! This is so true! I repeat myself over, and over, and over to my grandchildren everytime they are here. I don't think are listening I said to myself, and when I took them to church and they had to sit alone while I was on the choir stand they were amazing! They did nothing wrong, but got into the service! Why can't they act that way all the time, I said to myself???????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee....I wonder if MY 3 kids are related to YOUR 3 kids?? hmmmm....uh, yuh. I love you, sis! You helped me today. I needed to read this. :)
    Love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete

 
counter for blogger
Site Meter