Thursday, March 1, 2012

Reason to Celebrate

Going to college is the first step of the American dream: Get an education…Get a good job…Start a family…Buy a house. Well, I have three out of four, and when I get the degree, I'll have the them all. Truth be told, it’s a little after the fact. Why at this stage in my life have I decided to finish my degree? Well…

Top Four Reasons I'm Going Back to College:
1. To become a great writer
2. To be admitted to "the club"
3. To write a really big check
4. To throw a really fabulous party

To become a great writer.
I've always been a good writer, but I long to be a great writer – like Carrie Bradshaw.

Sex and the City was more than titillating cable programming; it was a glimpse into my dream career. Take away the nudity, the high fashion and the hustling city life, and what you're left with is a woman who writes a weekly column based on her daily experience and gets paid enough to buy Manolo Blahniks and Jimmy Choos. She's a writer, she's well paid, well dressed and well heeled. I've come to realize that the only thing standing between me and Jimmy Choo could be my degree – or the lack thereof. I've always been a good writer, but if I take the time to concentrate on perfecting my craft and developing my style, nothing can stop me from becoming a great writer.

To be admitted to the club.
Everyone on my team is a college graduate, and to be an official member of the club, I need a college degree. Every once in a while the conversation will turn toward "where'd you go to school?" and I say "I never actually finished." There's usually an almost imperceptible raising of the eyebrow, an embarrassed, "Oh, well, you'd never know it…" and the sound of a mental note being filed. I'm tired of not being able to say, ‘yes I have my degree, here's my transcript.’

My husband is an Electrical Engineer. My brother in-law has a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, a Masters in Public Administration and a Master of Education. My brother – my baby brother – holds a PhD in English. Though I've never actually been denied admittance to the college graduate club, I won't be an official member, until I graduate.

To write a really, big check.
I was in the 11th grade when a student/recruiter from Howard University came to our class. He didn't need to say very much since I was already convinced that it was the school for me. I remember when I said to my parents, "I want to go to Howard." …and I remember when they replied "Howard costs a lot of money." Unfortunately, I dropped the idea of college, right then and there, and I went to work right after high school. Then came marriage, my daughter, my house, my son, my son…

Now years later, I'm excited again about college, but money is still tight. It's frustrating to have the drive and energy but not the money. This time I won't let that stop me, and I don't want money to stop other women like me.

After I graduate –I want to establish a scholarship fund for working mothers who want to go back to school but need a lift over the tuition hurdle. I want to be the fairy godmother who grants the wish for fees, tuition and books by wielding my magic wand and writing a really, big check.

Why am I going back to college? To Celebrate!
We are a party culture. We celebrate the milestones in our lives: birth, baptism, bar mitzvah, sweet sixteen, wedding, retirement – party, party, party. Taking the time to stop and revel in the splendor of your good fortune is what keeps the light alive in your heart. Throwing open our doors and inviting people in to share in the good fortune is what keeps the light alive in the hearts of others.

Going back to school and completing my degree would be a major milestone for me. To finally pursue writing with the skills only college can provide… To be able to hold my head up and say to the world, "I did it. I'm a college grad"… To share that good fortune with my friends, my family and the world by helping someone else get there, too? That's a milestone; that's a blessing; that's something that will keep the heart lights going – and that's a reason to celebrate.

By the way, my graduation is June 16, 2012  :-)



5 comments:

  1. All your readers expect to be invited, Michelle!

    It took me 16 years, with three daughters, a house and no husband, to get my degree. If I can do it, you can, too.

    And then I discovered that the degree didn't make me a better person, a better editor/author or a better parent. It was all in there, right along, and that piece of paper just told it to the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog Michelle! We're trained to think that having a college degree and holding a very expensive piece of paper in our hands, somehow brings us closer to the head of the line. That's not always the case. Life experience and what you learn from it is invaluable. I can’t help but think of two extremely successful people that don’t have a college degree, but have influenced the world and could buy the rights to “The Club”...Steve Jobs and Oprah. I’m sure there are many others, and they all have a Reason to Celebrate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mich,
    You are actually an inspiration to all working women! Never forget that. I'm going out to buys some Choos to wear to your party right now!! I am invited, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post! You've accomplished so much, don't ever underestimate that! You just did it in a slightly different order than others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soooooo excited for you, Sis. This is something that I didn't know you were up to & it's a fantastic plan. I wish that I could celebrate with you...as strong women with our college degrees. I always look at my education and say, "They can't take it away from me....no matter how much debt I'm in." Good for you to follow this dream...I'm proud of you & I love you very much! ps-You've held an honorary doctorate in communication & love for all the years that I've known you. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
counter for blogger
Site Meter